Sunday, October 31, 2010

Kenyalang Park

Over the last couple of weeks, maybe 2 moons ago, there were some discussions amongst us regarding the old Cinemas in Kuching. We spoke of Sylvia Cinema, Lillian Theatre and the rest. Steve Voon and Nashiko San provided some photos which churned up nostalgia ....for me, at least ! We did it through our normal chain e-mails. Now we have a Blog !

I "stole" the following from one of Ewin's e-mails and the photos from the blogsite of a much younger generation of Josephians.... .Form Fivers of '76 I think....KIDS ! Take a look.

Ewin wrote :-


"Went to my favourite see-ham kway-tiaw stall in Kenyalang Park for breakfast this morning and took the opportunity to check out the cinema there . I knew what the building's ground floor was like , having patronised the shopping arcade selling almost exclusively China-made products before. But what got my goat was the realisation - when I had to ask my way to the cinema proper - that I had never, in all the years of its existence , watched a movie there !

A short flight of steps cluttered with mannequins led me up to a decidedly empty foyer, ie. not counting the elderly fee-collecting Tamil lady sitting by the washroom door .The several shops which encompassed the floor , and which probably vended ice-cream , pop-corn and miscellaneous snacks once , stood starkly empty .

The Tamil lady turned out to be friendly , as she was quick to answer that obvious question from me with .. "Wooh , sini suda banyak tahun ta'da bikin wayang " Happy with my 'discovery' , I went back downstairs and bought myself MR10 worth of preserved plums .... no , not the salty sng boi ..the sweeter type ......and yes , China made !"


Anyone have a photo of the Kenyalang Park Cinema ? Please post it here. Remember Capitol and Odeon and Rex Cinemas/Theatre ?












Memories, light the corners of my mind,
Misty water colored memories,
Of the way we were....







Go here for the song "The way we were" by Barbra Streisand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNEcQS4tXgQ

Steve and Nash, please post the photos of Sylvia and Lillian, will you ?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Wayland ... The class of 1976 would be very pleased be called KIDS again ... It's been a long time since we were referred to as that. Ha ha !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look for pics of the theatre to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually found a pic of the theatre and will post later.

    ReplyDelete